Helpful Books:

Go down

Helpful Books:

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:28 pm

I'm quite a bookworm. I get lost in books so easily. So, me being me, I have read a lot of recover-related books... or just uplifting books in general. Or books that have just really made me think. So, I've compiled a list for different books for different issues, that have helped me along the way, in hopes that it will help someone else. And the synopsis of the books are from Amazon. However, I've read all the books, thus the recommendation. It was just quicker to copy and paste!

You're not what you Weigh By Lisa Bevere
It is time for women to stop measuring themselves by the numbers on the scale! How many women out there are tired of the tyranny of dieting? Millions! With candor and a gentle spirit, Lisa Bevere shares powerful insights and liberating principles she discovered through her own personal struggles with weight. This life-changing book will empower women to: • Learn how to identify and maintain an ideal weight • Discover riveting truths from God's Word that will deliver them from the lies of the world • Trade their self-consciousness for a deeper consciousness of God • Break free from the destructive cycle of dieting This book also features inspiring testimonies since the original publishing in August 1999.

-Do you think I’m Beautiful?
By Angela Thomas
The question is uniquely feminine, and it resides in every woman's heart, in spite of her best efforts to ignore it. Although she aches to be adored and desired, she decides that it is good enough to be loyal, hard-working, strong, or steady.

But there is Someone who finds her beautiful, who adores her and seeks to woo her to Himself-and best-selling writer and popular speaker Angela Thomas explores the deep and life-changing implications for women who come to realize that. Practical Bible teaching and real-world advice help readers bridge the gap between the life a woman longs for, and the life she actually has.

Filled with warm, personal anecdotes, and written in an intimate, affable style that reaches out to readers, Do You Think I'm Beautiful? invites women to awaken passion, and to meet the embrace of the One who calls them beautiful.

Beauty for Ashes by Joyce Meyer
Bestselling author Joyce Meyer explores the true path to emotional healing through God's love. Many people seem to have it all together outwardly, but inside they are falling apart,crushed and wounded by their past. But God has a plan to heal the broken-hearted and the victims of abuse. For over 30 years, Joyce Meyer suffered the devastating effects of verbal, sexual, and physical abuse. Today, she has a worldwide ministry of emotional healing for others like herself. In BEAUTY FOR ASHES, she outlines the major truths that brought healing to her life and describes how other victims of abuse can also experience this healing, including how to deal with the emotional pain of abuse, how to understand your responsibility to God for overcoming abuse, why victims of abuse often suffer from other addictive behaviors, how to grab hold of God's unconditional love, and the importance of God's timing in working through painful memories. By sharing her personal story, Joyce Meyer wants to help others find inner peace through their belief in God.

The Shack By William P. Young
This book has the potential to do for our generation what John Bunyan's 'Pilgrim's Progress' did for his. It's that good! Eugene Peterson, author --Eugene Peterson, Professor Emeritus of Spiritual Theology, Regent College, Vancouver, B.C.

The Shack is the most absorbing work of fiction I've read in many years. My wife and I laughed, cried and repented of our own lack of faith along the way. The Shack will leave you craving for the presence of God. Michael W. Smith, Recording Artist --Michael W Smith, Recording Artist - personal endorsement

Reading The Shack during a very difficult transition in my life, this story has blown the door wide open to my soul. In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant The Shack wrestles with the timeless question, Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain? The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book.

Mercy for series by Nancy Alcorn
https://www.mercyministries.org/store/p-40-mercy-for-series.aspx

True Color series by Melody Carlson
http://www.melodycarlson.com/true_colors.shtml

Out of Control and Loving It By Lisa Bevere
Are you holding on so tightly that God can't work in your life? Lisa shows readers how to give God complete control of their lives. Lisa's life was a whirlwind of turmoil until she realized that things ended up in a mess whenever she was in charge. Women of all ages can reflect on some of the following topics: Are you tired of pretending to be strong when you're living in fear? Don't tolerate harassment for another moment. Receive your affirmation, love, self-worth, joy, strength, and acceptance only from God. Lay down your desires, and hide yourself in His will.

Let go and discover the freedom and peace of God intended you to have.

Into the Promised Land by Jeanette Howard
It's one thing to say homosexuality is wrong, but it is far more difficult to leave it behind. This is the story of one woman's struggle as she relates it to the Israelites journey to the Promised Land.

Back to top Go down

Re: Helpful Books:

Post by sarah on Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:27 pm

This is really helpful. Thanks!
sarah

Back to top Go down

Post by Steph on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:17 pm

Great! Thanks.

"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart..." Isaiah 40:11
Steph
Admin
Admin

http://www.restoredbyloveministries.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Gods.Daughter.1990 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:23 am

beauty for ashes.. is a really good book, but also can be triggering in away.. It goes deep into the emotions of abuse and stuff and can be really hard for some people to read.. I know its a good and HELPFUL book though, and will greatly encourage you Very Happy
Gods.Daughter.1990
Genuine RBL Girl
Genuine RBL Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:52 pm

Battlefield of the Mind—Joyce Meyer

Do You Think I’m Beautiful?—Angela Thomas

A Beautiful Offering—Angela Thomas

Ragamuffin Gospel—Brennan Manning

Ruthless Trust—Brennan Manning

Starved—Nancy Alcorn

Never Give Up—Joyce Meyer

Managing Your Emotions—Joyce Meyer

Approval Addiction—Joyce Meyer

Tell Them I Love Them—Joyce Meyer

Safe People—Henry Cloud and John Townsend

Boundaries—Henry Cloud and John Townsend

If You Want to Walk on Water, You’ve Got to Get Out of the Boat—John Ortberg

Breaking Free—Beth Moore

You are Special—Max Lucado

The Case for Christ—Lee Strobel

Discerning the Voice of God—Priscilla Shirer

The Purple Book—Rice Broocks and Steve Murrell

Wide Awake—Erwin McManus

Run to Win—Christine Caine

Last edited by Dawn on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:34 pm

Oh, I love Battlefield of the Mind! That's the first Joyce book I've ever read. I was required to read about 8 different Joyce books while at Mercy. I have a podcast of her doing a sermon series of it. It's great!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:21 pm

The Life You've Always Wanted by John Ortberg

Back to top Go down

books-maybe triggering

Post by Krystal on Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:20 am

So here are a couple of books that I have read in the past little while. The 2nd one really helped me and I have completly forgotten about my moodchart until I went to search the title of the book.

The 6 most important decisions you'll ever make : a guide for teens- Covey, Sean

This book was amazing I learned so much from it even if it was a tiny book. The author is the cousin of Kurt Cobain from Nirvana. This was her way of dealing with his sucide.
When nothing matters anymore : a survival guide for depressed teens Cobain, Bev.
Krystal
Genuine RBL Girl
Genuine RBL Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Steph on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:26 pm

I just got word about a new book called "Shine! A Girls Guide to Shining in a Dark World" I have not read the book so I can't fully recommend it but from what I've heard and read about it, it sounds like a great book that you might want to check out. It's a book that can be used with a group but it also sounds like there is a study guide that you can do by yourself.

Here is the website where you can find out more....
http://www.shine4god.com/

"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart..." Isaiah 40:11
Steph
Admin
Admin

http://www.restoredbyloveministries.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Krystal on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:35 pm

I was going through some books that I could win if I enter to win on goodreads but too many people want the book so I wont enter anything and it was called Scars. here's the review from goodreads.

Scars
Kendra, fifteen, hasn't felt safe since she began to recall devastating memories of childhood sexual abuse, especially because she still can't remember the most important detail-- her abuser's identity. Frightened, Kendra believes someone is always watching and following her, leaving menacing messages only she understands. If she lets her guard down even for a minute, it could cost Kendra her life. To relieve the pressure, Kendra cuts; aside from her brilliantly expressive artwork, it's her only way of coping. Since her own mother is too self-absorbed to hear her cries for help, Kendra finds support in others instead: from her therapist and her art teacher, from Sandy, the close family friend who encourages her artwork, and from Meghan, the classmate who's becoming a friend and maybe more. But the truth about Kendra's abuse is just waiting to explode, with startling unforeseen consequences. Scars is the unforgettable story of one girl's frightening path to the truth
Krystal
Genuine RBL Girl
Genuine RBL Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down