Restored by Love Ministries Online Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today I Celebrate Myself.

2 posters

Go down

Today I Celebrate Myself. Empty Today I Celebrate Myself.

Post by guardyan_angel Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:41 am

Today is two years free of cutting for me.

At midnight today, I looked at the clock, felt a thrill of rejoicing, and then went back to working on fixing my iTunes.

A little under three years ago I would have never believed there'd be a time when I was celebrating more than a few days of not cutting myself.

Two years ago today, I was cursing myself for slipping up after almost making a year.

One year ago I was sobbing my heart out at the midnight hour, overjoyed that I had actually made it to the one-year anniversary.

And now today I sit here, typing this, content but not doing cartwheels everywhere. Self-injury and for the most part self-hatred has faded away into a more distant past, and, while some days things are more difficult than others, I begun to think that there is such a thing as
recovery. That I can someday stand before someone and say that I've been free of my self-injurious self for more than just a couple years.

Already I've been free from SI for double the amount of time that I suffered through it, at least with the cutting aspect. I can now shave in the bathroom with a slight thought at what I used to do with a razor, but no longer the overwhelming urge to use it. I can find myself more open to discussing not only the fact that I went through a period of SI, but also I'm beginning to understand the reasons why I did. The urges are few and far between, and when they do happen it's easier to resist- there's so much more I can do now to ignore the overpowering wish to harm.

The other day, while sorting out my bookshelf, I came across a notebook full of poetry that I've written. Looking back on my entries, not only in there, but also in my diary, of that dark time when I was in such a struggle, I can no longer imagine what it was like to be in that mindset 24/7. The idea is almost foreign to me.

I don't need to keep track of the days, anymore. I SIed, once upon a time. That is my story, that is all I need to know. Oh, I may keep track of the years, maybe even the months. But the days I will no longer count. There is no need to reflect on my SI in my past every day of my life. That is why it's a part of my past, not my future.

I'm one of the lucky ones, I suppose. For me I will take my struggle and learn from it, looking back but hopefully never stepping back into that time. I no longer believe that I suffer from dysthymia, the chronic depression that causes a person to feel a little lower on most days before flinging them into severe depression. Instead I believe that at that time I had talked myself into that mindset, out of a need of some sort for- for what? Attention? Self-discovery? I'll never truly know, I suppose. Or, at least, if I do suffer from dysthymia, there is hope for me to break out of that cycle when (if) it next strikes.

I look back to myself three years ago, to when I was in that dark place, struggling with myself and my surroundings. I look back to myself two years ago, when I first and for the only time slipped up after nearly a year free. I look back to myself one year ago, weeping with joy at the accomplishment of a year free. I look to myself now, proud and free and, if not happy, then at least content. I am not the me of three, two, even one year ago. I am myself- a girl free of self-injury/cutting for two years, a daughter, an older sister, a best friend, a wall-climber, a cheerleader, a college prospect. A young woman, ready to take on the future, unafraid.

I look, and today I celebrate myself.
guardyan_angel
guardyan_angel
Genuine RBL Girl
Genuine RBL Girl

http://www.guardyanangel.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Today I Celebrate Myself. Empty Re: Today I Celebrate Myself.

Post by Beauitful Disgrace Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:17 am

First off I would like to say .. CONGARTS!!!!!!!!!!!! Your post is very moving and hopeful. Thank you for posting it.
Beauitful Disgrace
Beauitful Disgrace

Back to top Go down

Post by guardyan_angel Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:33 am

Thanks, hun. Smile
guardyan_angel
guardyan_angel
Genuine RBL Girl
Genuine RBL Girl

http://www.guardyanangel.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:17 pm

This made me cry.

Your strength, courage, and perseverance are amazing.

Keep fighting the good fight.

God has you.

This is such an encouragement!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:13 pm

GOD IS GOOD!! Jer. 29:11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down