Restored by Love Ministries Online Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Giving vs. Receiving. :)

Go down

Giving vs. Receiving. :) Empty Giving vs. Receiving. :)

Post by Guest Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:10 pm

You know how people always tell you giving is better than receiving? Well, I heard that phrase millions of times, nodded and agreed to it. But, in the back of my head I was always like "Ha. That's crazy! I like getting things!" And, I am sure if we all examined our hearts, most people, at some point, have felt that way.

It wasn't until yesterday that I realized I was so wrong, and how giving, not receiving, made my heart happier than ever yesterday.

It started out with having to go to the DMV to switch my plates from Texas to Utah. I originally was ticked off, knowing I'd have to do it again the very end of August or beginning of September when I moved to TN. On my way I had to get gas (the DMV is three towns over). As I was pumping gas, there was a Blazer (I only remember the type... because a Blazer was the first kind of car I had) at the pump across from me. As I was almost done pumping, the woman from the Blazer came to me, saying she was a tourist and left her purse at the hotel, but they were out of gas. Most wouldn't believe her story... but I was sitting in that same situation last year. I paid for gas with 100 pennies at one point. 1 dollar. When gas was $3 a gallon. If it hadn't been for the kindness of strangers, I don't know what I would have done. I smiled, we talked while I finished pumping my gas, and then I handed her $5. That was when I saw she had a son and right then he called someone, telling them that they managed to get gas. She started writing down her address and phone number on a sheet of paper, and she promised to pay me back. I declined the offer and told her to have a nice vacation.

Later on in the day I got online. One of the girls I went to Mercy with IM'd me over facebook chat. After I said hi back, she said "I'm really sorry to bother you... but I can't stop crying." It was then that she poured her heart out to me about how she did coke again while home, and how the thoughts of going back to her old life were consuming her. We talked about three hours. She was a hardcore drug addict (coke was her drug of choice), alcoholic, and a cutter (I hate using that word; sorry). And hearing that she was falling back really hurt my heart on a level I didn't realize it was capable of hurting. We talked, we sat her a plan in action. I called her psychiatrist for her since she was scared to, and she has an appointment tomorrow. Even though I had a lot I was supposed to do, I regret absolutely nothing in dropping everything to help her.

I knew another Mercy girl was struggling, so I burned her a bomb worship CD. She left a comment on my wall saying "THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! I LOVE THE CD!! It was hekka nice coming home to a lil package with so much love inside of it.. Love you Kerry!"

And yet another Mercy girl was struggling with huge family problems. So, I mailed her my copy of "Hope When Life Hurts Most" DVD by Louie Giglio (AAAMMMZZIIINNGGG. If you haven't listened to Louie Giglio-- YouTube him) along with a blank DVD, telling her to burn herself a copy. She messaged me telling me she got it, and that it truly blessed her and it came at the perfect time.

My aunt is really struggling right now with my grandma (her mom). My grandma's alcoholism and drug addiction completely spiraled after she got divorced. All of it has been pushed on my aunt. My aunt is a Social Worker, so she deals with really hard heart cases on a daily basis. She got a call a few days ago from my grandma's counselor (she was in treatment in NC), telling my aunt my grandma has decided to leave early. My aunt, much like me, is a people pleaser and has huge issues establishing boundaries, especially with her mom when it hurts the most. So, I mailed her my copy of "Boundaries" (by Henry Cloud and John Townsend... great book!). My grandma is coming home tomorrow, and my aunt now thinks she's ready.

My cousin just graduated from college (Wake Forest University), and has a job and house in line in Winston-Salem, NC. Being fresh out of college, she didn't have much money nor belongings. Since I move all the time I can never take all of my stuff with me and it just sits in storage, I gave pretty much all of my household stuff to her (shower curtain, rugs, lamps, couch, fridge, etc). She is going to pick it up tomorrow. And I absolutely can't wait to be in that area again so I can visit her!

I received a letter in the mail about two hours ago. I write letters all the time (I think good ole snail mail is a lost tradition that needs to be brought back to life!), and am currently writing a girl who is at Mercy Ministries in Nashville. She added me on facebook while she was in the application process, and when she left, she gave me the address (I was in the Monroe, LA home, so I didn't have the Nashville address), but said I didn't have to write. Well, I did... a lot! This will be the third letter I've gotten from her (she's been there a month and a half), and I wanted to share a part of it with ya'll. "Thank you SO SO much for your last letter. You have NO idea how much it has helped me. I was struggling and wanting to be back at home, and then I got your letter about the 4,032 hours in six months (my own insert-- I told her there were 4,032 hours in six months. She could spend them at Mercy gaining freedom, and be out of her comfort zone, or be home and struggle for those 4,032 hours, not get better, but be in her comfort zone. Same 4,032 hours... she just had to decide how to spend them. Only, I wrote it in more words!), which really helped put things into perspective. I even read it to my counselor. She said it was such a God thing!" Okay... that made my heart so happy! It's weird being on the outside, writing to someone on the inside of Mercy. I know EXACTLY what they are going through with it. I know the schedule, the assignments, the worship, the homesickness... but I also know the fun, friendship, and joy that it shared. It was nice to help someone who is sitting where I used to.

And there were actually four more things that I wanted to share, but I think ya'll get the picture.

I was struggling so badly... but after seeing how much I am capable of helping people... oh my goodness. It has done major things to my heart! And in helping others, it has really helped me set myself back on track. My ultimate goal is to become a counselor at Mercy Ministries (they have land in North Carolina... but no funds to build a house yet... so I am hoping I will be finished with college, have my degree, and can counsel there by the time it is finished), and seeing how I really can help people... made me realize that there is so much more I have to offer this world than pain. God has such a greater plan in store for me.

And it all started with giving instead of receiving!

My heart is happy.

Back to top Go down

Giving vs. Receiving. :) Empty Re: Giving vs. Receiving. :)

Post by Lizzie Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:50 pm

love this post!!
that is brilliant hun!
well done!!!!!!!!!!!
Lizzie
Lizzie
Genuine RBL Girl
Genuine RBL Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:03 pm

Yeah, I'm still smiling... while writing a reply to her letter! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:09 pm

and so you should be smiling!! Smile !!
Lizzie
Lizzie
Genuine RBL Girl
Genuine RBL Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum